The downside to many really interesting sports is that they do not really accommodate big people so well. Those on the big side would find problems keeping up with such games, thereby limiting the number of people who could enjoy the sports. As a result of this, big people can only watch from afar while wishing they could have as much fun as those that aren’t so big.
However, there is one sport that is not limited by the size of those partaking in it; kayaking. This is because there are different sizes of kayaks which are suitable for people of all sizes. The kayaks for big people are able to hold almost any amount of weight piled on them without rocking or threatening to throw the paddlers into the cold, unforgiving waters.
The only problem insight is that there are so many available kayak options for large people, and it poses a challenge to big people that would love to get one for themselves. But if you find yourself having this slight problem, worry no more. I have taken the liberty to compile in this article a number of kayaks that I feel are the best kayaks for large persons, just for you.
Guide to Choosing the Best Kayaks for Large Persons
Before I go further to name any kayaks, I would like to show you how to identify the best ones through the short guide below. This way, you are able to see for yourself why I picked the following kayaks as the best.
What to Consider When Buying Kayaks
- Budget: The first thing you really have to consider is your budget. You could do a rough search of kayak prices on the internet so that you would have an idea of how much money you should prepare the kayak. You definitely do not want to go to the store and return home empty-handed because you didn’t budget enough money for the kayak of your choice.
- Purpose: There are some kayaks that are suitable for whitewater, that is, they are best used for rough waters. Others can sail smoothly on calm seawater but nowhere else. So, considering the purpose for which you would want to use this kayak would determine what kind of kayak you should buy.
- Sit in or sit on: According to this category, kayaks come in twos. There are the sit-in kayaks that have front coverings where you can keep your legs within. There are also the sit-on kayaks that don’t have the front coverings.
- Other preferences: There are also other things to consider, such as the storage capacity, width and length, and some others.
Advantages of These Kayaks
The main advantage of these kinds of kayak is that they make kayaking easier and more comfortable for people on the big side. They don’t have to squeeze themselves into small kayaks that would eventually throw them into the water. And that is what makes these kayaks important.
How to Tell These Kayaks Apart From Other Kinds
When you are about to get yourself a kayak from the kayak store, you would find that there are some defining attributes that make these kayaks stand out. Some of these features are:
- Width: it is only logical that if something is going to hold big people, it has to be big itself. Kayaks for big persons are always wide so that they can easily accommodate the people sitting in them.
- Weight capacity: Kayaks vary in the amount of weight they can carry conveniently without the threat of capsizing. When talking about weight capacity, it doesn’t just mean the weight of the person sitting in them, the weight of their gears and everything in the storage compartment has also been put into consideration. For the kind of kayak we’re talking about, their weight capacity often falls within 250 and 550 lbs.
- Length: Well this is also a logical attribute to look out for as it would be pointless to have a wide kayak with high weight capacity but without enough legroom. That is why the lengths of these kayaks also help to define them. Some of these kayaks are actually as long as 13 feet.
- Depth and cockpit size: Generally, kayaks that are able to hold big people are often quite deep and they have large cockpits. The reason for this is quite obvious; there is bigger space to hold the paddlers.
- Sit on: Because of the ease of getting in and out of sit-on kayaks, they are highly recommended for big people.
Best Way to Use Them and Prerequisites for Using Them
You have probably been reading all along and this all seems too good to be true to you, and you are expecting that there would be a cost or a catch to all these advantages. Well, I’m not sorry to tell you that there are no shortcomings in how to use these kayaks. Apart from the normal maintenance that is necessary, you don’t have to do anything special to use this kayaks rightly.
Also, you don’t really need to know much about kayaking before you start using these kayaks as these kayaks are quite good for beginners too. And just as good as they are with beginners, they would not disappoint the professionals who use them. Great, isn’t it?
My Top 5 Kayaks for Big Persons
Having mentioned all that I have mentioned up above, I can now move ahead to give you a list of the Kayaks that I really believe are great for large persons.
A first glance at this kayak would reveal that it is obviously made of those on the bigger side. A depth of 50 inches makes the kayak hold its big paddlers with ease while still having enough side above water. Like that isn’t enough, the kayak has a total weight capacity of 425 lbs, conveniently holding you and your gear.
There is also enough cockpit space to hold you so that you don’t feel the slightest hint of discomfort while kayaking
- Large weight and storage capacities
- Very stable
- Not very fast
Having been around for about 20 to 30 years, Old Town is a household brand when it comes to manufacturing great kayaks. One of their best yet is the Loon Kayak 126. A wide and comfortable cockpit first welcomes plus-sized kayakers to sit in it.
The storage compartments of this kayak makes it really good for kayakers that want to carry some extra gear with them. And even with as much gears as you load onto this kayak, it still has a weight capacity of 450 lbs. The stability of this kayak also attracts a lot of people to it.
- Large storage compartment
- Remarkable tracking and stability
- Carrying handle comes off easily
This kayak is artfully designed for plus-sized persons as it features wide and comfortable cockpit and seats. Also, it has a big enough storage capacity.
It gets better in performance as the kayak is built to track easily and with remarkable stability on water. It also has other features like rod holders that make it perfect for fishing.
- Great for fishing
- Adjustable and comfortable seats.
- Storage compartment is not watertight
A whopping 550 lbs weight capacity is what makes this kayak precious to many plus-sized kayakers out there. The kayak comes fitted with everything you need to make every single kayaking experience a unique one. The Wilderness Systems ATAK 140 kayak is different from other kayaks in that it has some cool high tech features such as motor drive system, GPS, and removable consoles.
With all these nice features, you would expect this kayak to be really expensive but it really isn’t when you compare it with other kayaks of it’s caliber.
- Motor drive system that substitutes for manual paddling
- A massive 550lb weight capacity
- May not be the fastest of kayaks.
Of all the kayaks that are made for big people, this is one of the lightest. As a result of this, it is easily carried around without much problems. However, its weight is not even the best part of this kayak. This kayak was made to be able to track as efficiently as only the best kayaks can.
Stability is also a great attribute of this kayak, while its weight capacity of 350 lbs also attracts enough kayakers to it. The Ocean Scrambler 11 kayak beats many other kayaks of its caliber with its trackability and stability
- Effective and efficient tracking and stability
- Watertight storage capacity
- Storage space could be better
Having thought about all these kayaks and after a lot of considerations, I would pick the Wilderness Systems ATAK 140 kayak as the best of them all for obvious reasons. Firstly, the kayak has the largest weight capacity of all the mentioned kayaks. This means I can carry as much as I can at once in this kayak without worrying at all about the maximum weight capacity.
Secondly, the high tech features of this kayak makes it a kayak for the future. It isn’t a common thing to find stuff like GPS and motor drive system on kayaks, so we have to cherish the kayaks that have them. However, every other kayak mentioned in this article are very good and can hold their own with ease when they get on water.